Tuesday 10 March 2009

Disintegration Manifestation, or sumfink........





A couple of weeks back I was nosing around blogland feeling a little bored and in need of some high jinx. When I am in this mood I look up people I follow for one reason or the other, and then wander off through their links. I wouldn't go so far to say I'm cyber-stalking, but it does guarantee I stumble across interesting and art related blogs a lot more easily than just random meanderings. Well, what did I find.....

Over on Harry Bell's Boogie Street blog (that phrase reminds me of a heady mixture of those scrummy Haribo sweets, and the guilty pleasure that is the Baccharat song of 'Oh yes Sir! I can boogie'!) there was a great entry under 'Parcel Post' which I read with interest. Have a look see if you can, as not only is the art great but Harry has a nice turn of phrase too, so it really is an enjoyable blog.

His blog is especially nice though if you finish this blog first!  

It was about an art idea posted by a fellow blogger Seth from www.thealteredpage.blogspot.com involving making up bundles of all sorts of things and then burying them, submerging them, hanging them up etc. outside to 'disintegrate' basically. Once you have made up your bundle you stick it wherever you want and leave it there in the rain, snow and shine  until May 1st. You post a photo of your homemade package with contents on your blog, submit a link to Seth at The Altered Page ( full details are posted under 'Disintegration Manifestation, about halfway down the page ) and then come May Day, open your bundle and take a photo of the result to post on your blog. What marvellous fun! There are so many people now doing this that it has become a huge participation ( or should that be 'precipitation!') event, which I always enjoy joining in with. I have to admit I like the science of it all too. So here are my bundles- well, I couldn't just do one now, could I? And at the very least if I don't have any work to post come May 1st I'll have back up photos of old rotten grot to stick online as in-fill!

 

Bundle 1- paper poppy, shiny penny, a winning £2 lottery ticket exp., thick gold leaf sheet, felt floor protector, a cream mount, 2007 diary (I only wrote in it twice-Samuel Pepys I'm not!) glass slide, miniature card and envelope, pink and white tissue paper, purple and white chalk pastels, red oil pastel crayon, 2 wooden stretchers, string and a neon blue hairpiece bought in a moment's madness! Wrapped up and buried half-submerged in soil.

Bundle 2- a silk painting experiment, gluten free fruit loaf ( ooh, if anything deserves to disintegrate...), a ginger and lemon teabag (yum,) a toffee eclair sweet ( given them up,) chocolate biscuit (sob, given them up,) coffee (wail, given it up,) washpowder tablets ( cannot do without them!) A sponge (used at home and for work so v.i.p,) Cif oxyclean wipes ( each and everyone of them a little friend!) and last but not least, A CUDDLY TOY! (Good game, good game!) all wrapped up and hanging in the wind. Now it is just a matter of waiting.....

10 comments:

~Babs said...

How fun this is!
I often do the same,,,wander around Bloggyfield, finding the most AMAZING people!
I'd already been to Seth's blog,,,(aint it a small world?) I don't remember now how I got there, but I loved it.
Serena, telling you the truth: If I buried those sweets, I'm sure in a moment of weakness I'd be out digging them up! (after dark, of course)
I hope you at least saved a biscuit for when I drop by for tea.
Won't it be fun to see this on May 1st?!

Serena said...

Lol Babs
I would never pegged you for a sweets eater- you are so slender!! Not to worry though as there are usually copious amounts of naughties here for everyone else. Honestly the things I've given up this year- I could write a book!
Glad to know there is a fellow cyber traveller yomping through the Blogiverse too- the sights (or should that be sites?!) are indeed amazing. There is muchos stuff out there- never a dull moment! Roll on May Day! :o)

harry bell said...

Thanks for the kind comments, Serena. I really like the truly eclectic mix of stuff in your bundles, although I'm not sure I approve of subjecting an innocent teddy to your experiments.

Serena said...

It's a harsh world Harry!
Don't despair, the bear has gone in the hanging bundle with wash powder... he may come out cleaner. He's also got chocolate and coffee, so it's not all bad!
Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for putting me onto this in the first place. Hope that cold of yours abates asap... along with the window men! Rest up :o)

Seth said...

Hey Serena! Glad you found my blog (thanks Harry) and decided to join the project. The contents of your bundles is definitely interesting, unique and creative. Wonder what the insides will look like on May 1?

Serena said...

Welcome Seth,
thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment- this has been such a grand idea of yours and you must be overwhelmed by the response! Great blog too!

(p.s. I'll wager the contents will be grotty- hopefully!)

Unknown said...

Terrific bundles! I was going to feel sorry for the bear until I saw he got coffee AND chocolate. Heck, he's leading a better life than I!!

Serena said...

Welcome Laura! And thank you for taking the time to comment! Lol! I've got an awful feeling he may have gone through his vittals- well I guess he'll just have to tough it out now!!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

I came here through Seths blog. You have very interesting piles. I bet that gluten free bread stays solid as a rock! lol. I eat that stuff too and it either falls apart when you don't want it too or its hard as!

I will come back May 1!

Serena said...

Hello Lisa- thanks for hopping on board! Gluten free bread really is a law unto itself- I think the kindest thing to do was to bury it and put it out of it's misery! Here's to Mayday! :o)