Saturday 7 June 2008

A quiet place.....


Mmmm....
oil paints to me are like doughnuts to Homer. It feels really good swapping from the glass and getting back into it again. It's like slipping on another pair of favourite shoes. This one is a 16"x12" canvas, called A Quiet Place. Another nude for the collection. I think I need to highlight her bun more, as it looks like short hair from this photo.
As a child I had a thing about making dens, anywhere and out of anything. A natural, born nest- builder, you could say. I would always fashion some sort of table and chair too- just in case of visitors. My best one was in the garden by the side of the house. It smelled of the damp fir branches I used for walls and it was nearly too dark to read in there. My cousin's jumper got left in there one night and the cat snuck in and ate it! The cat was evidently a lanolin-addict. I only ever got told off for one den, and that was at boarding school. I made a double decker den in a 'disused' cupboard. The strange cloths inside made for very pretty wall- hangings.......unfortunately, little did I know that they were actually hand embroidered silk altar cloths. Never made that mistake again! Albeit an adultish version, this painting is reminiscent of that urge to create a space for yourself somewhere, and to enjoy the peace and quiet you can generate.

No comments: